From the Artist: “Roxy is sassy and playful, and she grabs so much attention wherever she is displayed. Her pose was inspired by a fox I saw leaning back, scratching, with her head slightly tilted in an almost curious way. I loved interpreting this pose with strong sharp angles moving into flowing curves. As I sculpted the front legs in a playful crossed position, to my surprise, a heart formed on the chest. Very often a heart forms in my work as I am sculpting, and it has now become a signature in so many of my pieces.
People always have fox stories, which is what really attracted me to this creature as a subject to sculpt. My hope is that Roxy will bring joy and smiles to everyone who sees her and experiences this sassy little fox.”
John Maisano has two sculptures in Waco Sculpture Zoo. See if you can spot the other one – his style is very recognizable. He uses symbols and shapes from Art Deco and Art Nouveau, and the designs carved into them are influenced from Celtic, Tribal, Inuit, Polynesian, and Native American design.
John Maisano is an artist and sculptor who lives in nearby Austin, Texas. He has been an artist for more than 25 years, but started sculpting in 2001 when he was inspired to sculpt a life-sized bronze ornithomimid dinosaur. He has many artistic skills aside from sculpting including muralist, painter, theatre set designer, and museum exhibit designer! He loves making outdoor sculptures because anyone can see and interact with them. You can see more of his sculptures at Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, Zilker Botanical Garden, Austin Nature & Science Center and many other public places. He is a member of the Texas Sculpture Association and the Texas Society of Sculptors.View all sculptures by this artist.
Did You Know?
- Foxes live on every single continent except Antarctica and can thrive in cities, towns, and rural places. They are native to Waco and there is a family of foxes that lives wild at Cameron Park Zoo.
- Foxes are a part of the Canidae family and are related to wolves, jackals, and dogs.
- Even though they are related to dogs, foxes are very similar to cats.
- A family of foxes is called a “leash of foxes” or a “skulk of foxes.”
- Foxes actually use the Earth’s magnetic field to hunt! They have a magnetic sense which they use like a guided missile!
- Foxes are known to be very curious and playful. They will actually steal balls from your yard or off of a golf course.